Monday, August 14, 2006

A fruitful Sunday

Thanks to ShuQing borrowing me The complete Idiot's guide: Positive Dog Training book.

In the afternoon, I started training MeeKia SOCIALIZATION - to accept touching. He did perfectly well. He used to bite a lot when being touched and i am amazed this simple training works. This is the technique:
1. Hold a treat with one hand out 20-30 inch
2. Place the other hand on dog's neck
3. If dog doesn't move, remove hand and reward treat. If dog moves, stop and start over again.
4. Repeat 10x till dog is comfortable and consistently not moving.

I am home late from my "pak-toh" cum study. MeeKia was all excited, as usual, jumping and barking when he sees me. Then, it came to my mind to teach him the DOOR etiquette - proper door manners.
I think it is important not to let dog has the habit of charging through door before the owner.
Meekia was readily to charge in before i pull open the doorknob. He was surprised today I commanded him to "Sit" and "Stay". He did as told but was a little nervous and gets up very soon each time I proceeded with my next step. I repeated the steps starting all over again and he gets less nervous graduallly.
I am happy with meekia's first door etiquette performance. I will continue to work hard. I want Meekia be Mr. Manners. <13aug2006>

No comments: